Northpointe Automation develops, maintains, and improves automated control and data acquisition systems for manufacturing equipment and supporting utilities.
POSITION OVERVIEW/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES*:
The Automation Manager is responsible for managing a group of staff automation engineers and external consultants, ensuring execution of and availability of production systems, and managing staff performance against operational goals.
- Provide leadership and direction to support teams while embodying the PTx behaviors and associated attributes
- Managing and developing the performance of direct reports by setting “SMART” goals, providing timely performance feedback, recognizing and rewarding high achievers, and holding reports accountable for underperformance.
- Identify key performers and provide development opportunities to increase visibility, responsibilities and sphere of influence. Allocate sufficient time to coaching to maximize development
- Ensuring timely issue escalation to senior management and cross-functional support teams.
- Partnering with teams i.e., Manufacturing, Quality, etc. to ensure adherence to production schedules, while holding reports and teams responsible for compliance to all safety and quality regulations. Ensuring that appropriate levels of trained resources are available to meet client needs.
- Working with recruiters to maintain staffing levels and meet approved hiring plans.
- Conducting performance appraisals and career development assessments for all direct reports.
- Ensuring that a consistent technical approach for Automation Engineering is used across projects at the Northpointe Facility.
- Mentor Automation Engineers to ensure that the team applies compliant, efficient engineering solutions to projects.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems through individual efforts as well as strategic leveraging of outsourced personnel. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practical and consistent with organization objectives.
- Utilizing quality systems to measure, analyze, and improve team performance.
- Lead staff meetings, providing updates of department activities and project statuses.
- Partnering with direct and indirect management chain to provide the following:
- Designing of department training plan and managing its execution.
- Ensuring inspection readiness of assigned areas.
- Overseeing completion of investigations and deviations.
- Partnering with QA to provide the following:
- Ensuring all deviations and CAPA’s are closed in a timely manner.
- Oversight for deviations and department documentation changes.
- Ensuring that Automation related documentation is compliant and inspection ready.
- Participating in inspections conducted by external regulators.
- Complying with requirements of PTx safety program including Health and Safety regulation and OSHA requirements.
Production and Operational support:
- Responsible for ensuring automated systems are available to support operations and production schedules.
- Overseeing departmental projects impacting operations and ensuring that the appropriate control approvals and validation requirements are implemented.
- Draft and manage operating and capital budgets to meet operational needs and budget constraints.
- Working collaboratively with inter-department and cross-functional teams to lead necessary changes in a timely and productive manner.
- Partnering with client groups to troubleshoot and drive resolution of process issues and proactively driving projects to improve the impact of automation on all functions of the facility.
- Develop, implement and maintain a lifecycle management program for automation related resources including staffing and hardware/software under Automation responsibility.
- Develop meaningful KPIs for all workgroups. Use data to gauge and improve performance where applicable.
- Engage in ongoing professional development to increase value to the organization and meet defined needs.
- Routinely Seek Feedback from Customers and Stakeholders to inform development needs of self, staff and functions .
- Represent Automation/Engineering function on miscellaneous facility and corporate teams. Fulfill obligations for quality of service, timeliness, responsiveness and communication.
- Assume a fair share of collateral duties for the benefit of one’s peers and the organization as a whole.
- Routinely interface with key customers to understand/anticipate needs and develop appropriate solutions.
- Minimum 4 years of project management experience with control system implementations.
- Minimum 5 years leading direct reports.
- B.S. in Engineering or related field or a combination of technical training and relevant work experience.
- Minimum 10 years as a practicing professional involved in the support, design, and/or implementation of instrumentation and control systems.
- A knowledge of network architecture and configuration, and electronic process instrumentation.
- Preferred quality experience includes performing in a cGMP manufacturing environment and a strong understanding of quality systems.
- Preferred automated process experience includes utility operations (pure water systems, compressed air, steam and clean steam, etc.), building automation systems (HVAC, dynamic room pressurization, chillers, etc.), autoclaves, CIP systems, fermentors, MF/UF, LC, HPLC and or other filtration systems.
- Preferred control system software experience includes Allen Bradley: ControlLogix, SLC500, RSView ME, PanelBuilder; GE Fanuc: iFix, iHistorian, RTIP, Proficy Change management.
Apply for this position